This is a statutory body as per University of Mumbai guidelines comprising of teacher and student representatives. We are in association with N.G.O Stree Mukti Sangathana, Vashi. We conduct number of activities for creating awareness and empowering the girl students.
International Women’s Day
The Women Development Cell of University of Mumbai celebrated International Women’s Day on 21st March, 2018 at Marathi Bhasha Bhavan, University of Mumbai, Kalina Campus. The event had participation from various colleges from Mumbai and Navi Mumbai region. A session on patriarchy, stereotypes and counselling was held along with skit performance on the topic "Consent". Our college was invited to perform skit on this occasion. 5 students of our college from B.Sc.I.T. Department along with our faculty Ms. Gurpreet Kaur Khalsa participated in the event. Our students were highly appreciated for their participation.
PCOS Awareness and Education Programme
Women Dvelopment Cell had organised a Seminar on "PCOS Awareness and Education Programme" for girl students in association with Young Concepts India Incorporated, Mumbai on 20th December, 2017. The session was conducted by Dr. Ambuja P. Mahindrakar, an well-known Gynaecologist and Fellow in Reproductive Medicine. Around 80 students participated in the session.
One Day Intra-Collegiate Competition – Expression 2017
Pillai Group of Institutions hosted One Day Intra-Collegiate Competition for students – Expression 2017 in association with Women Development Cell, University of Mumbai and Majlis, Legal Centre for Women at Dr. K. M. Vasudevan Pillai Campus, New Panvel on 8th December, 2017 from 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Students from Pillai College of Arts, Commerce & Science, Pillai College of Architecture, Pillai Institute of Management Studies & Research and Pillai College of Engineering participated in the event. The event started with welcome speech by the Joint Secretary Dr. Daphne Pillai, followed by competition which included two categories of events – verbal and non-verbal. Both the events were conducted simultaneously at two different venues from 11:00 a.m. onwards. The verbal events which included speech, skit and songs saw an overwhelming response of 56 students’ participation was organised in the astro turf area. The non-verbal events included posters and rangoli making where 43 students participated. The non- verbal events were held in two batches from 11:00 a.m. onwards in the architecture studio. The event was graced by the presence of our Joint Secretary Dr. Daphne Pillai and Ms. Ayeshna Dutta, members of Women Development Cell, University of Mumbai. Ms. Aditi Thakkar from Majlis also graced the occasion. The panel of judges included internal judge Mrs. Rasika Patil, artist and a graduate of Fine Arts from J. J. School of Arts, Mumbai and external judge Lawyer Ms. Harshada More. Ms. Snehal Patil from Pillai Institute of Management Studies & Research was the winner and Ms. Progna Bannerjee from Pillai Institute of Management Studies & Research was the runner-up in the verbal category. Mr. Abhijit Prakashan from Pillai College of Engineering and Ms. Vrinda from Pillai College of Arts, Commerce & Science were the winner and runner-up in the non-verbal category. The programme ended with panel discussion by Majlis team members with the students. The active participation of 99 students in verbal and non-verbal events and a team of 6 students and 8 teachers worked together to make the event a grand success.
Talk on "How the Students can work for Social Cause to create an impact on the Society"
Women Development Cell had organised a Talk on ‘How the Students can work for Social Cause to create an impact on the Society’ in association with WE Club of New Panvel. The session was attended by students of Department of B.M.S. and B.Com. Financial Markets.
Guest Lecture on "Legal Rights of Women"
Women Development Cell had organised a Guest Lecture on the topic "Legal Rights of Women" for the students 23rd September, 2017 Saturday at 10:00 a.m. onwards. The session was conducted by Advocate Dr. Sumathi Gopal.
Success Stories of Women Empowerment Schemes in India
Women Development Cell had organised a Power Point Presentation Competition for students on 8th September, 2017 on the topic ‘Success Stories of Women Empowerment Schemes in India’. 10 students of first, second and third year participated in the event. The session was judged by Assistant Prof. Surekha Padmaraja and Assistant Prof. Lakshmi Sarma of B.M.M. Department.
Self-defence Training Programme
Women Development Cell organised Self-defence Training Programme for girl students on Friday 14th July, 2017. The session was conducted by Mr. Harjeet Singh Nagi who is a trainer for 5 Dan Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate Do, 5 Dan Free Style Kungfu, 3 Dan Kick Boxing, 3 Dragon Taiji. 56 students were trained in the techniques of self-defence.
Report on Awareness Campaign on Zero Tolerance of Sexual Harassment in College
We had organised an Awareness Campaign through poster exhibition on Zero Tolerance of Sexual Harassment of Students & Women in our campus on 27th February, 2017 as directed by Maharashtra State Commission for Women. The objective was to create awareness about the University Grants Commission (Prevention, Prohibition & Redressal of Sexual Harassment of Women Employees and Students in Higher Educational Institutions) Regulations, 2015.
- What is sexual harassment?
- Composition and role of Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Inquiry & Redressal Procedure
Around 1,050 students, teaching and non-teaching staff participated in the drive.
Snacks and chocolates were distributed to the students.
Dr. Daphne Pillai
Mrs. Monali Ray
Mrs. Kiran Deshmukh
Report of Women Development Cell activity
A talk was conducted for girl students on the topic 'Women - Be in control of your mind and body' by Dr. Abhay Shete on 14th December, 2016. All the girl students attended the seminar wholeheartedly.
International Women’s Day
"Women Development Cell and Marathi Vangamaya Mandal celebrated “International Women’s day” on 8th March 2017 by felicitating all working women’s in Panvel Railway Station premises as well as all teaching and non-teaching staff member of Pillai college of Arts, Commerce and Science New Panvel. They were felicitated by offering a rose and giving them special batches made by students conveying the message “You Are Special”. 500 working Women were felicitated."
Organised a seminar on 'How to Manage Relationship' for students by Mr. Pravin Bhosale from N.G.O. Yuva Aadhar, Supporting Young Minds on 30th November, 2015. More than 100 students participated in the session.
- Organised a lecture on 'Women’s Right' on 20th September, 2014 by Ms. Sidd Vidhya Lawer, practicing lawyer, Bombay High Court. The session focused upon domestic violence and different laws for protecting the women.
- Seminar on 'Self- Motivation' on 14th November, 2014 was conducted by Ms. Vani Achari, Assistant Professor, Pillai College of Education and Research, Chembur, Mumbai
- Organised a lecture on 'Gender Equality' on 24th February, 2015 in association with N.G.O. partner Stree Mukti Sangathana, Vashi
- Our student Ms. Ghangrekar Swarali Shrikant won 5th position in the State Level Inter-Collegiate Short Story Writing Competition on 'Atrocities on women due to various evils such as dowry in male dominated societies' organized by Anti-Dowry Movement, Bombay. She was felicitated by Dr. Raja Welukar, Vice-Chancellor, University of Mumbai
- A seminar was organized on 'Human Trafficking' on 21st January, 2014 in association with International Justice Mission, Goregaon
Poster Exhibition on International Women’s Day
- Seven students from S.Y.B.Sc. Bio-technology had participated in the Inter-Collegiate Competition on 'Women Adventure and Challenges in Changing Attitute' hosted by Women Development Cell, Sterling College of Arts, Commerce and Science, Nerul in collaboration with Women Development Cell, University of Mumbai on 10th to 12th December, 2012 and secured various accolades.
Name Class Name of event Position secured Ms. Akansha Arlikatti S.Y.B.Sc.
Elocution Competition 2nd rank Ms. Asha Elizabeth S.Y.B.Sc.
Elocution Competition 3rd rank Ms. Swarali Ghangrekar S.Y.B.Sc.
Debate Competition 3rd rank Ms. Namrata Kamble S.Y.B.Sc.
Debate Competition 3rd rank Ms. Pradnya Kamble S.Y.B.Sc.
Debate Competition 3rd rank Ms. Sheerupa Kar S.Y.B.Sc.
Debate Competition 3rd rank Ms. Thattumkara Aswathi S.Y.B.Sc.
Debate Competition -
- Organised a Lecture on 'Violence Against Women' on 15th January, 2013 for students by eminent speaker Prof. Vaishali from N.G.O. Stree Mukti Sangathana, Vashi.
- Our student Ms. Namrata Kamble of F.Y.B.Sc. won merit certificate at the State Level Inter-Collegiate Essay Competition organized by Anti-Dowry Movement, Bombay on the topic 'Equlity of Men and Women: Myth or Reality'.
- Organised a seminar on 'Appropriate Career Selection and Planning for Women' on 17th January, 2012 by Prof. S. S. Lele, Professor and Head, Food Engineering and Technology Department, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai.