This is a statutory body as per University of Mumbai guidelines comprising of teacher and student representatives. We are in association with N.G.O Stree Mukti Sangathana, Vashi. We conduct number of activities for creating awareness and empowering the girl students.
Talk on "How the Students can work for Social Cause to create an impact on the Society"
Women Development Cell had organised a Talk on ‘How the Students can work for Social Cause to create an impact on the Society’ in association with WE Club of New Panvel. The session was attended by students of Department of B.M.S. and B.Com. Financial Markets.
Guest Lecture on "Legal Rights of Women"
Women Development Cell had organised a Guest Lecture on the topic "Legal Rights of Women" for the students 23rd September, 2017 Saturday at 10:00 a.m. onwards. The session was conducted by Advocate Dr. Sumathi Gopal.
Success Stories of Women Empowerment Schemes in India
Women Development Cell had organised a Power Point Presentation Competition for students on 8th September, 2017 on the topic ‘Success Stories of Women Empowerment Schemes in India’. 10 students of first, second and third year participated in the event. The session was judged by Assistant Prof. Surekha Padmaraja and Assistant Prof. Lakshmi Sarma of B.M.M. Department.
Self-defence Training Programme
Women Development Cell organised Self-defence Training Programme for girl students on Friday 14th July, 2017. The session was conducted by Mr. Harjeet Singh Nagi who is a trainer for 5 Dan Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate Do, 5 Dan Free Style Kungfu, 3 Dan Kick Boxing, 3 Dragon Taiji. 56 students were trained in the techniques of self-defence.
Report on Awareness Campaign on Zero Tolerance of Sexual Harassment in College
We had organised an Awareness Campaign through poster exhibition on Zero Tolerance of Sexual Harassment of Students & Women in our campus on 27th February, 2017 as directed by Maharashtra State Commission for Women. The objective was to create awareness about the University Grants Commission (Prevention, Prohibition & Redressal of Sexual Harassment of Women Employees and Students in Higher Educational Institutions) Regulations, 2015.
- What is sexual harassment?
- Composition and role of Internal Complaints Committee (ICC)
- Inquiry & Redressal Procedure
Around 1,050 students, teaching and non-teaching staff participated in the drive.
Snacks and chocolates were distributed to the students.
Dr. Daphne Pillai
Mrs. Monali Ray
Mrs. Kiran Deshmukh
Report of Women Development Cell activity
A talk was conducted for girl students on the topic 'Women - Be in control of your mind and body' by Dr. Abhay Shete on 14th December, 2016. All the girl students attended the seminar wholeheartedly.
International Women’s Day
"Women Development Cell and Marathi Vangamaya Mandal celebrated “International Women’s day” on 8th March 2017 by felicitating all working women’s in Panvel Railway Station premises as well as all teaching and non-teaching staff member of Pillai college of Arts, Commerce and Science New Panvel. They were felicitated by offering a rose and giving them special batches made by students conveying the message “You Are Special”. 500 working Women were felicitated."
Organised a seminar on 'How to Manage Relationship' for students by Mr. Pravin Bhosale from N.G.O. Yuva Aadhar, Supporting Young Minds on 30th November, 2015. More than 100 students participated in the session.
- Organised a lecture on 'Women’s Right' on 20th September, 2014 by Ms. Sidd Vidhya Lawer, practicing lawyer, Bombay High Court. The session focused upon domestic violence and different laws for protecting the women.
- Seminar on 'Self- Motivation' on 14th November, 2014 was conducted by Ms. Vani Achari, Assistant Professor, Pillai College of Education and Research, Chembur, Mumbai
- Organised a lecture on 'Gender Equality' on 24th February, 2015 in association with N.G.O. partner Stree Mukti Sangathana, Vashi
- Our student Ms. Ghangrekar Swarali Shrikant won 5th position in the State Level Inter-Collegiate Short Story Writing Competition on 'Atrocities on women due to various evils such as dowry in male dominated societies' organized by Anti-Dowry Movement, Bombay. She was felicitated by Dr. Raja Welukar, Vice-Chancellor, University of Mumbai
- A seminar was organized on 'Human Trafficking' on 21st January, 2014 in association with International Justice Mission, Goregaon
Poster Exhibition on International Women’s Day
- Seven students from S.Y.B.Sc. Bio-technology had participated in the Inter-Collegiate Competition on 'Women Adventure and Challenges in Changing Attitute' hosted by Women Development Cell, Sterling College of Arts, Commerce and Science, Nerul in collaboration with Women Development Cell, University of Mumbai on 10th to 12th December, 2012 and secured various accolades.
Name Class Name of event Position secured Ms. Akansha Arlikatti S.Y.B.Sc.
Elocution Competition 2nd rank Ms. Asha Elizabeth S.Y.B.Sc.
Elocution Competition 3rd rank Ms. Swarali Ghangrekar S.Y.B.Sc.
Debate Competition 3rd rank Ms. Namrata Kamble S.Y.B.Sc.
Debate Competition 3rd rank Ms. Pradnya Kamble S.Y.B.Sc.
Debate Competition 3rd rank Ms. Sheerupa Kar S.Y.B.Sc.
Debate Competition 3rd rank Ms. Thattumkara Aswathi S.Y.B.Sc.
Debate Competition -
- Organised a Lecture on 'Violence Against Women' on 15th January, 2013 for students by eminent speaker Prof. Vaishali from N.G.O. Stree Mukti Sangathana, Vashi.
- Our student Ms. Namrata Kamble of F.Y.B.Sc. won merit certificate at the State Level Inter-Collegiate Essay Competition organized by Anti-Dowry Movement, Bombay on the topic 'Equlity of Men and Women: Myth or Reality'.
- Organised a seminar on 'Appropriate Career Selection and Planning for Women' on 17th January, 2012 by Prof. S. S. Lele, Professor and Head, Food Engineering and Technology Department, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai.